Monday, June 8, 2009

Day One: To West Yellowstone

We left Salt Lake at 8 A.M., right on schedule! Had to make a "quick" stop to get a 2nd key made to our new truck. Two hours later we are back on the rode. Stopped outside of Brigham City to get gas. I went in to get ice to fill the cooler. Mission accomplished, back on the road. About 5 miles down the road, I discovered I couldn't find my wallet. I knew I had it in my hand when I brought the ice to the back of the truck to fill the cooler because I remember being grateful that I had only tripped, not completely fallen on my face balancing my wallet, treats and two bags of ice. But it wasn't anywhere in the truck. There is no way I could have set it down right?! I mean seriously, how many times have I reminded Scott not to set his wallet down on the bumper, top of car, middle of the store, etc.! Just to be safe, we called the gas station and turned around. No one there had seen it, but they would look for it they told me. A sick feeling started to gnaw at my stomach. My credit cards, driver's license, and cash (I know, I never have cash but under the circumstances I was carrying about $400). We said a quick plea to Heavenly Father to help us find the wallet. My sweet children trying to cheer me with, "don't worry mommy, we'll buy you another one" wasn't as comforting as they had hoped. Bless their hearts! The whole way back we are scouring the opposite side of the freeway with little success. No luck at the gas station either. By this point, I am not above frantically digging through the garbage cans like a mad woman. The looks from the gas station patrons were priceless. Had I not been under serious duress I would have laughed! We decide at this point to hurry and re-trace our path on the freeway. We get on the onramp at a whopping 6 MPH, hazards flashing, irritated motorists whizzing by and we all have our heads out the windows looking for my wallet. About a half mile up on the middle median, I spot something that looks like my wallet. Sure enough, there it is...opened! We pull off to the side and Scott gallantly sprints across the lanes of the freeway to rescue what we hope are the contents of my wallet. JACKPOT! Hesitantly, I dashed after him. Scattered over about 60 yards in the weeds are all of my credit cards, driver's license, concealed weapons permit, ins. cards, etc. It had been run over and a few cards were bent, but fortunately, the zipper compartment and my secret hiding placed were undisturbed! What a miracle! Our prayer had been answered in a major way. After a heartfelt prayer of grattitude, I turned to Scott and sheepishly said, "and THAT'S exactly why I am always telling you never to set your things on the bumper!" Bless him. He just smiled and didn't even have a negative word towards me. What a trooper! It's a good thing I have a new stress relief aromatherapy stick because I've already used half of it and it's only our first day! :)

The weather has been mostly rainy, but very beautiful. Some of the animals we have seen today are cranes, ravens, crows, rabbits, elk, deer, ducks, cows, horses, mules, llamas, seagulls and fish! The kids are keeping an active log of all the wildlife on this trip.

Thanks to all of you for your prayers. Obviously we truly need them! Love you all. We will keep you posted as much as we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment